How can I find words in a dictionary more quickly?
You need to know the alphabet really well and understand how a dictionary is designed. Here are some challenges you could try to help you speed up.
1. Alphabet tennis. One person serves a random letter and the other person returns the letter which comes before or after.
2. Timed alphabet sort. Muddle up some letters (magnetic or cards) and time yourself to sort them. Repeat and try to beat your personal best.
3. Timed alphabet type. Time yourself while you are typing the alphabet. Try to beat your personal best.
4. Dictionary races. Choose random words and race someone else to find them.
5. How does a dictionary work? Ask other people how they find words in a dictionary to see if they have a quicker method than you.
6. Skipping. As you jump over the rope, say each letter of the alphabet. (Madison's idea)
7. Wall ball. Kick a ball against a wall and say a letter of the alphabet. (Milo's idea)
8. Catch. Throw a ball in the air and every time you catch it, say a letter (William's idea)